I can't remember why or when (it was so long ago), but I've always
used 's' and 'S'  in 'vi'.  It never really occured to me to use 'cl'
instead.  It was just another command in the list.

It was part of the original 'vi', but I'm not sure if you meant that
by 'put in to be complete'.

It is no more enigmatic then a lot of things in 'vi' which are there
just to make editing incrementally better.  There's 'C' vs 'c$', 'D',
'G', 'Y', etc., all of which are redundant with combinations of other
commands.