As a devotee of vim, I want to put in a vote for trying to make new releases violate fewer rather than more of existing users' assumptions (although I know that there are always tradeoffs).

Why should the default color scheme suddenly change when one upgrades?

(Hmm maybe fire suits should go on now.)

Every time I install a new version of vim I have to go and fix some little thing so that it will work the way I want it to work. The problems I've experienced recently are due to the fact that I've been mapping g to 1G for years. In recent releases, matchit.vim (which I love) and the new fancy file browser have created mappings for g plus something else, so that vim has to pause when I type g to make sure that I'm not about to type another character (this is not the behavior you want for the "go to the top of the file" mapping). I have fixed these problems, but:

How about adding functions without assigning them to keys? If a key hasn't been mapped before, then someone has their own private mapping for it, and by adding a new mapping, you're going to break something, perhaps for the sake of a function that most people won't use. (Shouldn't a *network* file browser be optional? I already have more than one with my operating system. )

Just pet peeves.  If I didn't love it so much I wouldn't complain.

Marshall