Actually, I'm a Linux guy; just trapped behind Windows at work (though
VMWare Player and an Ubuntu image get me through).

I would have loved to have used Perl, if I had the faintest notion
how. When it comes to programming, I never mad it beyond
"intermediate" bash scripting, and enough Python to produce a couple
of useful things. Not text processing, quite obviously. :)

On 8/3/06, Charles E Campbell Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
martin kraegeloh wrote:

> part of a good job is to choose the right tool.
>
> use perl for this kind of task. use vim to edit the perl script ;-)
> and search cpan before creating your own solutions!

Two problems with this approach:

  * Perl's regular expressions don't appear to be much more powerful
than vim's.  Perhaps not any more powerful any more.
  * Not everyone has or uses perl, especially Windoze users.   Asking
folks to learn perl isn't going to help -- few will bother.

Regards,
Chip Campbell