Marv Boyes wrote:
Actually, I'm a Linux guy; just trapped behind Windows at work (though
VMWare Player and an Ubuntu image get me through).

I would have loved to have used Perl, if I had the faintest notion
how. When it comes to programming, I never mad it beyond
"intermediate" bash scripting, and enough Python to produce a couple
of useful things. Not text processing, quite obviously. :)

Well, then, maybe you'll find it useful to study Vim scripting. It can produce more than a "couple" of useful things quite easily, and ;-) it is very well suited to text editing.