On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:06:13 -0500 (CDT)
"Tom Purl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree that the tips page is a very good resource.  It is my opinion,
> however, that a wiki would work better in this situation.  Here's some
> of the reasons:
>
> 1. It's easier to edit a wiki page.  If I make a mistake in my tip,
> it's trivially easy to go in and fix it.  If someone else knows of a
> better way of doing things, s/he can fix my tip.

The problem is that it is easier to destroy it too. I find the tip page
layout nice, because if you had done a mistake somebody can post a
correction and one can see it and compare it with the original. This
way one also learns why one should do it differently.

Or, perhaps the added tip just do something slightly different, but you
are interested in the first solution and not the second. I wouldn't
like if somebody changed the first algorithm if it was the one I was
looking for.

> 2. Wikis are good repositories for content that you didn't even know
> that you needed.  The cookbook that you mentioned is a good example.
> If vim.org hosted a wiki, I don't think that it would take very long
> for such a resource to "appear" since so many users would like
> something like that.

Well, one has: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page
I don't know about copyrights etc..., but I like that the tips pages
are kept as simple as possible as a repository.

I would rather see a wikibook, where the tips have been washed and
categorised.

I also have seen complains about formating code in wikis. I don't know
if this is really a problem though...

> The big downside of a wiki is administrative costs.  It would probably
> be slightly more difficult to fight spam, and you would need a heck
> of a lot more moderators.

Exactly. Password based wikis are somewhat better, but I think turning
the tips pages into a wiki with password is an overkill...

Wiki isn't the solution to all problems as XML isn't either.

Preben