On 2006-09-22, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/22/06, Dmitriy Yamkovoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Is there a binary compiled for Windows which allows me to run Vim
> > without any of the runtime files?  Long story short, I want something
> > I can keep online or on a USB key and just copy to the desktop of any
> > computer I sit at.
>
> I assume that if the whole $VIMRUNTIME tree is on your
> USB, and you setenv VIMRUNTIME to that location,
> vim.exe will happily access whole $VIMRUNTIME tree
> from there, no ? Is this good enough ?

According to

    :help VIMRUNTIME
    :help VIM

setting $VIM would be a better choice than setting $VIMRUNTIME.
Further, ":help VIM" says that on Windows, "Vim tries to use the
directory name of the executable" to find VIM.  So depending on how
Dmitriy intends to invoke the vim on his USB key, it may not be
necessary to set $VIM or $VIMRUNTIME at all.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Wireless Division