Hi Bram :)

 * Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dixit:
> > > "utf-8" is a superset of "latin1", thus using "utf-8" for 'encoding'
> > > should nearly always work.
> >
> >     Except that then I have to encode my 'showbreak' option as utf8 and
> > not latin1 :( I prefer to have it encoded as latin1 (as the rest of my
> > files), until I switch to utf8.
>
> Yeah, there are small things like this.  You might want to put this in
> your .vimrc:
>       scriptencoding latin1

    It's already there but that doesn't fix the problem with
'showbreak'.

> > If I change 'enc', I see 'á', correctly.
>
> You should do ":edit ++enc=utf-8 filename" or include "utf-8" in
> 'fileencodings' before editing the file.  Then it will work no matter
> what 'encoding' is set to.

    But then my US-ASCII files (and new files) will be considered utf-8,
and I don't want that. Or do you mean that if I set (e.g.)
'fencs=ucs-bom,latin1,utf8' things will work even if utf8 is never tried
because latin1 always succeeds?

> > What I don't understand is that if I set 'fencs' and let 'fenc' take
> > the value from it, the translation is done correctly because vim
> > converts the characters. Once the file is loaded, this doesn't happen
> > and setting 'enc' by hand seems the only choice. Am I doing anything
> > wrong?
>
> Yes.  'fenc' is set by Vim when it reads the file.  Setting it to
> another value doesn't cause the file to be reread or conversion to be
> done.

    OK, now I understand, thanks :)))) Any way of forcing a conversion?

    Again, thanks a lot :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado