Robert Cussons wrote:
Thanks Tony,

very prompt and helpful as always.

--snip--

"Inverting the display" means changing black to white, white to black, yellow to blue, blue to yellow, red to cyan, cyan to red, green to magenta, magenta to green, etc., all over the screen. The "visual bell" does it for a fraction of a second, if enabled.

As noted under ":help 'visualbell'", to disable both visual and audio bell, you must set 'visualbell' *ON* (not off),

I assume this is because if you turn off visual bell it is assumed that you would want an audible one?

Yes. The default is 'vb' off = audio bell only. To turn the audio bell off, you must turn on the visual bell. Then if you want to also disable the visual bell, you set its "string of key codes" to empty.

and clear the
corresponding pseudo-termcap entry, as follows:

    " no bells wanted
    set vb t_vb=
    " must reset it again when the GUI starts
    if has("gui")
        autocmd GUIEnter * set t_vb=
    endif

I don't know what a pseudo-termcap entry is but naively I don't see why you have to renew a command you've already given when the GUI starts up.

Thanks again,
Rob.

Because otherwise, the GUI would change it. All t_xx settings are changed at GUI startup, which happens after the vimrc is run. See ":help 'visualbell'". It is said explicitly there that the setting must be reset after GUI startup.