>  Is there any way to find two specific items of an ascii table of the
>  same column  but of two adjacent rows ?

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do on the data you
described in your 2nd posting, so I'm divining intent as well as
a solution.  Perhaps with your intent as well, a better solution
can be found.

In the past, I've done things like

        /^\%(.\{25}\)\(.\).*\n\%(.\{25}\)\1

to find places where character 26 on one line is the same as
character 26 on the next line.  Or, I've used

        /^\(\w\+\).*\n\1

to find lines that begin with the same word.  If you're looking
for different characters ("A" and "Z") at a particular offset
(26), you can use

        /^\%(.\{25}\)A.*\n\%(.\{25}\)Z

It does require that you know the offset though.

If your lines are fixed length (which it sounds like they might
not be, as they have file-names which can be arbitrary lengths),
you might be able to do something like

assuming there are 128 characters in each of your lines (the
129th is the \n character).  If you right-padded your file so
that it had a consistent length in each line, this solution might
work for you.

Just a few ideas that have worked for me in the past, doing
something somewhat like I understand you to be describing :)

HTH,

-tim