Hi Marc,

On 2/27/07, marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm not a vim guru, but I too made the switch from a similar tool to vim
as yourself, and needed similar functionality. Here's what I do.

I create mappings for the location of projects that I'm working on,
and/or their parents. So:

  nmap  ,pm   :cd ~\My Documents\My Website\pmwiki<CR>
  nmap  ,web  :cd ~\My Documents\My Website<CR>
  nmap  ,fm   :cd D:\Apache\htdocs\forums\<CR>

To search, I use:

  :vim /search for/ **/*.txt

where :vim is the short form of :vimgrep. However, because previous
commands are cached, you need only type:

  :vi<Up>

and the last search appears and can be edited.

Once the search completes, type:

  :cw

to open the quickfix window, which shows all the matches. You move
through the results with :cn and :cp (but also learn <C-o> and <C-i>).

In addition, if you want a 'sidebar' window in which you can list your
commonly used files, then you might try the workspace plug-in. Once
setup, it saves a lot of time.

I will play with this stuff.

Thanks,
Peter