On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 at 1:26pm, Tom Purl wrote:

> Here's my view of "where we are" regarding the Vim Tips wiki conversion
> project:
>
> 1. The Google wiki seems to be a poor option due to the difficulty
>    involved in registering.
> 2. Multiple other wiki engines have been discussed, and the clear
>    favorite seems to be a site built on top of the Mediawiki
>    application.
> 3. Of all of the sites that offer free wiki hosting using Mediawiki,
>    Wikibooks seems to be the most favored.
>
> Note: These are all my opinions based on what I've read.  I hope to hear
> from everyone that has a different perspective :)
>
> Ok, so based on my version of reality, I think that we should proceed with
> the following actions:
>
> 0. I'll create the following page on the Vim Tips chapter of the Vim book
> on Wikibooks (whew!):
>     * http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_the_vi_editor/Vim/TipsSandbox
> 1. All of the people who wrote tip conversion scripts before should
>    update them so that the output format is "Wikipedia markup", not
> "Google markup"
>     * I apologize to the script writers for making them do more work.
>       Hopefully, the necessary changes to your scripts will be small.
>     * Also, please note that I _don't_ think that anyone should
>       contribute a new script to this effort.  We already have three very
> capable scripts that can probably get the job done very well, so I don't
> think that the effort would be worthwhile for anyone else.
> 2. Convert one tip and post the output on the TipsSandbox page listed
>    above.
> 3. The vim community will come to a consensus on the best format for the
>    tips, and we will use the best script for the job.
> 4. Consensus achieved!!!
> 5. We will automate the task of converting all of the tips.
> 6. A group of wiki superusers will inspect 50 random tips and make sure
>    that they look good.
> 7. The invisible hand of The Wiki will then gradually make our wonderful
>    collection of Vim tips even more awesome than they've ever been before! ;D
>
> So, what do you guys think?
>
> Tom Purl

I have been reading posts on this subject with interest and think that
this is going to be a good decision. My only concern is on how we are
planning to support the existing rating system going forward and if we
can enforce a fixed style on commenting such that the comments don't
look like a mess. I would imagine that one needs to edit the tip to add
their comment at the end, but it will be nice if the comment itself
happens as a discussion (which appears as a discussion tab on the same
page).

--
Thanks,
Hari