On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 11:03:46AM +0100, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> John Beckett wrote:
> >Brian McKee wrote:
> >>One of the first things I was thinking about mirrors the above comments.
> >>http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Talk:Learning_the_vi_editor/Vim/
> >>TipsSandbox/Tip_1:_the_super_star has a bunch of "thanks for the
> >>great tip!" type comments with more useage info interspersed.  I
> >>think those 'great tip' comments go to a separate page, while the
> >>'use # or % instead' kind of comments need to be edited into the
> >>actual tip itself.
> >
> >But why keep the 'great tip' comments?
> >
> >The friendly atmosphere of the current Vim Tips web site is rather
> >nice, but why put all the work of moving it to a wiki unless you
> >make the tips more helpful?
> >
> >Unhelpful tips and unhelpful comments should be omitted.

I think this would imply a lot of manual labor and would render the
porting scripts obsolete.

And why is everyone so eager to delete the "great-tip!!! kthnxbye!!"
comments?! They raise moral, encourage further contribution and counts
as positive feedback (specially for first time tip-posters). Plus
they're harmless.

> >John
> >

> Moving the tip body to a wiki page and the comments to its talk page can
> (IIUC) be automated. /Then/ the tip author (or maintainer, etc.) can
> archive the talk page, remove empty comments (of the "great tip" kind),
> refactor useful comments into the tip body, etc.

I couldn't agree more. All comments should be placed in the talk page
(it's just natural) and changes generated by the discussions should be
added (and optionally thanked) on the front page.

[--snip--]