Robert Schols wrote:
[...]
I use the UnxUtils package:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

It includes all of the commands I need and accepts forward slashes as
well as backslashes. I use these commands from the standard precompiled
gvim.exe from vim.org.

I have cygwin as well, but it is later in my %PATH%.

Although technically not an answer to your question, I think this is the
best solution to your problem.

Best regards,
Robert

PS: Actually I use the Labrat Toolkit which includes the UnxUtils
package, but labrattech.com seems to have issues with php syntax at the
moment. When they are up and running again you must check this out.

When I was on Windows, I tried the unxutils package, but I had some problems with it, I don't remember which ones. Apparently it works for some people, so let those go on using it. For people like me, happily there is another set of Unix-like programs which work under native Windows, viz. the GnuWin32 utilities (available as a SourceForge project).

I used to have GnuWin32 late in my PATH (after any Micro$oft programs of the same name such as sort.exe) and Cygwin not in the PATH at all (except of course in the terminal window running Cygwin bash, where it came early in the $PATH).

"A wizard cannot do everything; a fact most magicians are reticent to
admit, let alone discuss with prospective clients.  Still, the fact
remains that there are certain objects, and people, that are, for one
reason or another, completely immune to any direct magical spell.  It
is for this group of beings that the magician learns the subtleties of
using indirect spells.  It also does no harm, in dealing with these
matters, to carry a large club near your person at all times."
                -- The Teachings of Ebenezum, Volume VIII