On Tuesday 17 April 2007 12:25, Tim Chase wrote:
> >> -does this happen in one particular type of file but not in
> >> others (such as in *.tex or *.xyz but not in others)
> >
> > Most of the files I edit are *.tex files so that is not much of a
> > distinguishing mark.
>
> Ah well...perhaps a tex-filetype mapping?
>
> >> -does it only happen in one mode?  (only in insert-mode?  only
> >> in normal-mode?  only in visual-mode?)
> >
> > It may happen in insert mode when I hit the F4 key. But from the
> > nature of the latest such message it occurs when I hit the "save"
> > entry on a menu. Or perhaps when I exit Gvim by deleting its
> > window.
>
> This is a good lead.  My first suspicion is that there is a
> definition that uses ":map" when it should be using ":nnoremap"
> (or should have both the ":nnoremap" and a ":inoremap" or
> ":imap") such that when you use <F4> in insert-mode, it uses a
> normal-mode mapping.
>
> >> -when it *does* happen, some post-mortem knowledge of the output
> >>
> >> from the following would be helpful:
> >>    :scriptnames
> >>    :map
> >>    :autocmd CursorHold
> >>    :autocmd CursorHoldI
> >>    :autocmd CursorMoved
> >>    :autocmd CursorMovedI
> >>    :menu
> >>    :ab
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't discover it until I try to compile a *tex
> > file using e.g., texexec or pdftex.
>
> With that knowledge, I'd go spelunking in the $VIMRUNTIME/
> folders for the tex-related plugins/syntax/filetype files to see
> if there are "map" commands that should be "nnoremap" commands.
> Or perhaps you have some of your own additions under $HOME/.vim/
> that might be bunging matters.
>
> -tim
And what is the difference between map and nnoremap? I inserted
several map commands. Here is my list:

:syntax on
imap <F3> <C-O>:!pdftex book.tex<Cr>
map <F3> :!pdftex book.tex<Cr>
imap <F4> <C-O>:!texexec book.tex >/dev/null<Cr>
map <F4> :!texexec book.tex >/dev/null<Cr>
imap <F5> <C-O>:!acroread book.pdf<Cr>
map <F5> :!acroread book.pdf<Cr>
map <F2> 1GgqG
imap <F2>   1GgqGi

Do you see any that could be causing trouble?

TIA

John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting
Satisfaction guaranteed.
http://wexfordpress.com

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com