Hello, all. This is going to be painfully basic, I'm sure, but I can't
find my way around it.

I've just clean-installed Ubuntu 7.04 and am busily setting things up
the way I want them. Naturally, Vim comes first. :)

Ubuntu installed vim as a default package, without GUI enabled. I
installed the GUI-related packages, but then decided that I'd rather
have all patches up to date and installed Vim via AAP (which I really
like, by the way). I ended up with Vim 7.0.224 in text-mode, but
version 7.0.164 in GUI mode. Apparently, the Ubuntu-packaged versions
install to one place, and the AAP version in another.

I removed all Vim-related Ubuntu packages and re-ran the AAP install
with "--enable-gui=gtk2" in my config.arg file. That's evidently not
the correct syntax, since I ended up with no GUI available.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is have Vim, with GUI, always
patched-up-to-date. Is AAP the best way to do this on Ubuntu? If so, I
can't seem to find a clear answer as to how to do so (i.e., it
installs fine, patches fine, but I can't get a GUI to save my life).
I'm content to use the Ubuntu packages, as long as subsequent uses of
"aap update" give me the same version of Vim in both text and GUI
modes. Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated; many thanks
in advance.