Quoting Andrew Falanga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On 4/24/07, Charles E Campbell Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Andrew Falanga wrote:
> >

> > > Using your directions above, I continually get problems on step 4.
> > > when I so ":so %" I'm constantly returned "UseVimball" is not a vim
> > > command, or something similar.  What might I be doing wrong?
> >

> > Hmm, your original complaint was that netrw wasn't working at all, I
> > believe.
> >
> > Do you have something like the following at the beginning of your
> > <.vimrc> file?
> >
> > " =====================================================================
> > "  Initialize: {{{1
> > set nocp
> > if version >= 600
> >   filetype plugin indent on
> > endif
>
> Actually, on this particular system, I have no ~/.vimrc file at all.

Without these commands, your vim is operating in "vi-compatible" mode, and
vi doesn't support plugins.  Even with :set nocp, you need to enable plugins.
May I suggest trying the few lines above as your <.vimrc>, and then trying to
"edit" a directory.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Dr. Chip,

Thank you for your help.  As you've correctly noted, I needed those
things in my .vimrc file to make this all work.  Incidentally, I found
I also had to add those lines to the .vimrc file for the root user (so
install the netrw package/plugin in the system wide
/usr/local/share/... location.  Thanks again.

You know, as I just recently noted to someone on the FreeBSD questions
mailing list, I can't believe how much I don't know about vim, though
I've been using it for several years now.

Andy