On 5/15/07, Tom Purl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Task:  Wiki Format Sign-Off
Deadline:  Monday, May 21st (arbitrary, I know)

Overview
========

We've had some great, constructive discussions lately regarding how we
will be creating and editing tips in the future.  Before we can finally
decide how this is going to work, however, we need to decide upon a page
format for tips.

The most recently-updated wiki tip examples can be found at the
following URL:

* http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/VimTest

The following tips should stand out:

* http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1
* http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1_v2

This first tip uses the Template:Tip template
(http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Tip), and the second tip uses
the Template:Tip2 template
(http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Tip2).

Requested Actions
=================

Please take a look at these tips, decide which one you prefer, and then
provide constructive criticism for that tip's format.  There's no such
thing as a dumb comment.

My Two Cents
============

I really like VimTip1_v2, which uses the Tip2 template.  Here's what I
like:

* No special formatting for commands or any other preformatted text.  I
  think that this is an essential requirement for the initial conversion
  effort.
* Easy to read
* Succinct

How do you want to handle comments?  Typically on a Mediawiki site, you
sign you comments like so:

    This is so cool! ~~~~
    ----

Which is then saved to the page like this:

    This is so cool! Tpurl 15:17, 15 May 2007 (UTC)

It's a little ugly, but it's the norm in the wiki world.

What do you guys think?

Tom Purl

I think you are right about the comments.  It doesn't look like the
best thing ever, but it will work fine for a wiki.  People will
probably leave off the ~~~~ sometimes and that will probably be
something that we will have to live with.  I think that there is
probably a way that we can make a reminder for people to put that
there after comments, but I don't think we could easily require it.
Also, it should be obvious that I prefer the Tip2 template ;-)

-fREW