On May 22, 2007, at 11:59 AM, fREW wrote:

I figured it out and if anyone else has this problem I am sending out
the solution.  Basically when I run vi it is running vim.tiny.
vim.tiny sources /etc/vim/vimrc.tiny, not /etc/vim/vimrc, also,
vim.tiny is pretty crippled, in that it doesn't even have syntax
highlighting, so consider whether that's even what you want.

-fREW

Yes the "tiny bugs", as I call them, have hit me in another way - I tried using syntax highlighting and got a "sorry this command is not implemented" error. That's what lead me to install a more complete version (namely vim-ruby, which has some minor annoyances of it's own btw). I attribute these default annoyances to the fact that ubuntu is a desktop distro, not really intended for development "out-of-the- box". Luckily installing and configuring the vim that you want is a trivial matter so you can go about vimming proper in no time :)

--Mike H