My statements were meant to say I find vim very useful.  grep and sed are
great; I use grep all the time, and sed occasionally (because I'm usually
looking at large files rather than editing them).  vim is just more
convenient for looking at the lines above and below a regular expression
match, especially when I don't know how many lines might be relevant.

I believe vim treats the entire text file as if it is in a single,
contiguous block of (virtual) memory; I'm less clear on how vim manages
how much of that memory is resident in physical memory.  If a 2 Gb PC
has only 2 Gb of swap space in addition to 2 Gb physical memory, my
prediction is you will have trouble editing files 4 Gb or larger.
I'm catching up on email, so maybe someone has already covered this in
more detail or more accuracy.

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Yongwei Wu wrote:

|I do not understand your statements: what's your problem of using
|regular expressions in grep and sed?
|
|Other related questions are: Does Vim really load the entire text file
|in memory? Has anybody experience editing files that are much bigger
|than available memory, say, an 8 GB file in a 2 GB PC?
|
|Best regards,
|
|Yongwei

|-- |Wu Yongwei