John Beckett wrote:
Yongwei Wu wrote:
Even FAT32 supports files much larger than 4GB.

Not true. FAT32 supports files up to 4 GB.

Sorry I shot my mouth off there - I realised my blunder about ten
minutes after sending. I haven't actually used a FAT32 partition
for over ten years, and was confusing the maximum size of a FAT32
partition with its maximum file size.

On NTFS of course, as you mentioned, the sky is the limit. I
have made files larger than 4GB, and have written a couple of
simple programs to work with such files, so my basic point is
valid. The Win32 API supports files much larger than 4GB.

John

...not to mention Unix/Linux, with its variety of not only FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS but also ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc., supported. I see a backups.tgz file of 7GB (which normally isn't mounted) so "big files" exist here too.

While I, with my usual enthusiasm,
Was exploring in Ermintrude's busiasm,
        She explained, "They are flat,
        But think nothing of that --
You will find that my sweet sister Susiasm."