> It does compile for me out of the box (where I mean svn with box).

OK. I see what my problem was. I never downloaded the vim-extras
package, only the Unix sources, so I didn't get the Carbon UI or any
other Mac-specific stuff.

> It works in the official Carbon vim as well. And it also works if you
> use that version in Terminal.app (Cmd-c and Cmd-v, that is. But
> that's probably because Terminal.app supports it ;-) The clipboard
> register doesn't seem to work in the terminal, that's true).

Yes. OK. So this is actually my problem.

The clipboard register does not work in the terminal or other GUIs on
the Mac (e.g. GTK). This is because the support is included in the GUI,
gui_mac.c, and cannot be enabled without it, rather than somewhere I
would consider more logical, such as os_macosx.c.

The Mac GUIs don't work for me reliably/consistently (e.g. with Hebrew
text), and I generally prefer to work in the terminal anyway (I like
such things as suspending my Vim session).

So I guess the question now is: could the sources be rearranged such
that Mac clipboard support can be enabled without the GUI being enabled?
I can't see any reason why not. But it must rely more on just having the
GUI compiled in, as even running Vim in a terminal without the GUI but
with the GUI compiled in, the clipboard doesn't work. So some
initialisation must be happening with the GUI or something to make it
work only then.

Anyone got any ideas? Or is this not worth pursuing?

Ben.