> Here is a snippet from the Vim's reference:
>
>       NOTE: Changing this option will not change the encoding of the
>       existing text in Vim.  It may cause non-ASCII text to become invalid.
>       It should normally be kept at its default value, or set when Vim
>       starts up.  See |multibyte|.  To reload the menus see |:menutrans|.
>
> Personally I think this should be a bug of Vim.  However, as it had
> already been well-documented, I think you should follow the
> principles.

I personally think that's perfectly reasonable and not a bug.

But something I really do think is worth changing because it's really
confusing,
is ++enc. Why do we call this ++enc not ++fenc which would make a huge amount
more
sense, and be more consistent with ++ff and ++bin which both set their namesake
options? We see evidence of people getting 'enc' and 'fenc' confused on a
regular
basis, and this feature naming really doesn't help matters. What would you
think
of changing this, Bram? Perhaps making it officially ++fenc but accepting ++enc
for compatibility with old scripts (and old users!)?

Also, I wonder whether it might be worth adding a 'best practices' section to
mbyte.txt and referring to it in such places as 'enc' (probably mostly there)
which explains the basics in a few short paragraphs: set 'enc' in your .vimrc
(recommend utf-8), 'tenc' if your terminal/locale is different (unneeded in
GUI),
use ++fenc if a file is read with wrong encoding detected, 'fenc' to change
what
encoding to write a file with for future writes. This sort of material is
repeated
frequently on the mailing lists which suggests users aren't finding it easily
in
the help (though it is all there, it is somewhat spread around, etc.). Do
others
think this might or something similar might be a good idea?

Cheers,

Ben.