Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 04/06/08 21:40, Ilya Bobir wrote:
> [...]
> > If there are no scripts that use two numbers with a dot in between
> > without interleaving spaces then it follows that there are none that
> > have these kind of numbers with an exponent appended.  And it means that
> > if the float syntax will be smart enough to tell a float without an
> > exponent from a concatenation then adding an exponent as a suffix will
> > not introduce any ambiguity.  Am I missing something?
> >
> > Ilya Bobir
>
> What about 2.e32 ?

I think it's OK to not allow that and insist on using "2.0e32".
Just like you can't do ".5" but need to use "0.5" instead.

Rationale:
        let e32 = " times a day"
        echo 2.e32
           2 times a day
        echo 3.e32
           3 times a day

This actually makes sense, so we should keep this backwards compatible.
The reasoning that "2.0" is currently not used is that it's not useful to
have this in a Vim script, you would write "20" instead.

I'm not saying I have accepted the backwards compatibility problem with
doing floating point this way, we still need to find that one script
that breaks.

--
A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time