On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Mike Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry to rain on the git love fest going on but ...
>
> There are other options.  There is no killer reason to use git over the
> other systems, and the need for a Cygwin base system for windows does
> raise the bar for Windows users - not everyone will want to have to
> install and maintain a Unix like command system just to use a source
> control system.  It would be nice to have a reasoned review of the
> options for Vim development.

there's no need for cygwin, since there's msysgit (standalone package).

and you can survive with only git-gui in vim particular case as I mentioned.
so the people afraid of command lines won't even notice.

the global idea of this thread is to simplify maintenance on vim.

> Mercurial is widely used, with a possible plus of svn like command
> interface.  Bzr is also good, if not so widely used.  IIRC there has
> been a recent SVN release that supports disconnected working (one of the
> big selling points of DVCSs) so perhaps that should not be discounted
> just yet.

explain to me why installing a bloated interpreter just to use
mercurial is any better than cygwin then ? ;-)

people have a clear and common misconception here: that git is still
difficult to use/understand. it's not true anymore. git-gui is all
that is neeeded.

it may look like a "git love fest", but it's clear that today
maintaining a project with CVS/SVN is clearly time poorly invested.

I'll prove my point once my vim repo is up.

--
Christian