I finally bit the bullet and applied Markus Heidelberg's relative number
patch to my source -- I love it so much I added

nmap <silent> <S-F9> :call NumberToggle()<CR>
imap <silent> <S-F9> <C-O>:call NumberToggle()<CR>

function! NumberToggle()
    if &number
        set relativenumber
    else
        if &relativenumber
            set norelativenumber
        else
            set number
        endif
    endif
endfunction

to my .vimrc, and

export CONF_ARGS='--with-modified-by="Markus Heidelberg (relative line
numbers)"'

to my build environment.

I would like to request this patch be included in mainstream source.

In the meantime I would like to know if there's a slick way to check svn
updates and runtime rsyncs against the list of 22 files the patch updates,
and re-apply the pieces of the patch affected?

I like this patch so much I am willing to examine every svn update and
runtime rsync against the list of files, and re-apply the pieces of the patch
that got overridden, but I can't help thinking there must be a better way.

sc