On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Ingo Karkat <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> On 11-Jul-09 16:52, Ben Fritz wrote:
> > You're worried about destroying window layout if you just redirect to
> > a new Window.
> >
> > So why redirect to a new Window? Redirect to a new TAB PAGE instead,
> > then close the tab when done. Extremely simple, no additional
> > functionality needed, and your Window layout remains untouched.
>
> ... or save the current window layout with winrestcmd() and restore it
> afterwards.
>
> -- ingo
>
>
I am using vim for speed... I use this kind of lists very often. And I do
not have a TAB-bed window. I tried to describe a use case, but it is
difficult to convince by describing it... Completion would be one way,
however that is also limited, as you cannot search in the completion lists.

I tried to describe this with the MRU files list. I use such lists
intensively, and I am sure most of you do so. I have other lists like lists
of links, lists of files in a projects. And the usage pattern is to find
quickly a file in this list, and either insert it at the cursors position,
or do a command on it. Another usage is translation. If I could open a file
with translation of words in a certain language, I could search fast in the
list (and more than 50% of the cases I search nor for from the beginning nor
at the end of the word, I search for the pattern in the word that would
bring me the result the fastest). Once the word found, enter, the result
would be inserted at cursor position.


Well... I will have a look at the code and investigate myself.. I hoped
smbdy would share my idea..



-- 
rgrds,
mobi phil

being mobile, but including technology
http://mobiphil.com

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Raspunde prin e-mail lui