On 11/08/09 11:41, Milan Vancura wrote:
[...]
> I can imagine that something like "plugin registration" would help here. Same
> as each plugin has a code part and doc part now, it would contain something
> like a registration part (a header with metadata), useful for several
> purposes:
> better knowledge what each plugin really is about, who is the maintainer, what
> is the URL for updates and - the point - how to disable it. Or, better, each
> plugin should support the same method for disabling itself.
>
> The header does not need to be anything complex, just a set of standardized
> comments at the beginning of plugin code with mandatory and non-mandatory
> metadata fields. Or in a separate metadata file, that's for discussion.
>
> With such metadata we can, for example, generate a list of plugins and call
> disable methods (or set disabling variables-flags) for some of them in .vimrc
> And it would be also much easier to find what some plugin is about - even for
> those which are not a part of any official distro package but downloaded
> from some site several years ago.
>
> My idea is to agree on the metadata set (and format), announce it and mark
> each
> plugin at vim.org which follows this policy.
>
> This would make the life with plugins easier.
>
> Milan

It would also make plugin writing harder (in that plugin authors would
*willy-nilly* have to rigidly adhere to a preset header format), and it
would make *all* existing plugins invalid, incompatible, and good for
the trashcan, since they don't yet include your proposed "metadata"
comments, even less a separate metadata file.

If your metadata is "non-mandatory", then it serves no purpose: in that
case, let's just keep what already exists, it fills the "non-mandatory"
side of the requirement, so what are you griping about?

Regards,
Tony.
--
The District of Columbia has a law forbidding you to exert pressure on
a balloon and thereby cause a whistling sound on the streets.