On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Luis Carvalho <lexcarva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course, if you can always :set go-=T, then the toolbar is irrelevant for
> you. The problem is not having a toolbar users don't like, but having a
> toolbar that users enjoy.
[snip]

>> Unix users usually are more minimalist, and vim users usually are more
>> unix like users.
>
> Sure, and these users are already covered, right? You can always use the
> terminal... That's not the point.

Yes this is the point.

So its ok to implement a email client/nttp reader/web
browser/bittorrent client in vim if you can disable then with :set
vim-=emacs? No its not, its plain wrong.

Unix philosophy is not about software usage, is about software
*development*. Is about decision you made on writing them. You can't
go and implement all the cool features that exist for the sake of
implementing it.

So, no the unix user are not covered, because for they what matter is
software development. Dont matter if this can be disabled.

I always used lftp with joy, but when they implemented bittorrent
support, I stopped using it. Why? Because its wrong for a ftp client
support a protocol completely divergent. And I know of lot of ppl that
stopped too, and its is, in my opinion, the best ftp client.

Unix users are not blind to this matters like windows users (all this,
is about "generic" users, not about all), for they how software are
implemented is part of how good is a software. And vim have a lot of
unix heritage.

Regards,
Kazuo

--
«Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
Marie Sklodowska Curie.