Nazri Ramliy wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Nazri Ramliy <ayieh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
> >> I have included the recent patches, but not the one that resets
> >> "recursive" in gen_expand_wildcards().  That is probably causing that
> >> crash.
> >
> > I noticed that mch_expandpath() is defined on both unix and windows as
> > unix_expandpath() and dos_expandpath(), respectively.  I'll see if it
> > can be used in place of globpath() (which calls gen_expand_wildcards())
> >  in the function expand_in_path().
> >
> > If that is successful I'll send a new patch for that and also revert
> > thechanges
> > I did in globpath() (skipping url path).
>
> It turned out that using unix_expandpath() for find completion is much,
> much slower than using globpath.  I ended up using mch_expandpath only when
> WIN3264 is defined, and use globpath() otherwise.
>
> The benchmark result (doing a find completion for "jingle.gy" in the google
> chrome source code, the fullname is "jingle.gyp"):
>
> bench.vim:
> ---->8----
> :set path=~/src/chrome/**
> :find jingle.gy
> :q
>
> ----8<----
> Note: there's a single tab character after jingle.gy
>
> Result of running
>
>   $ time ./vim-globpath -s bench.vim; time ./vim-mch_expandpath -s bench.vim
>
> for five consecutive runs (whitespaces added to align the timing output
> below):
>
> ./vim-globpath       -s bench.vim  0.48s user 1.90s system 92% cpu 2.570 total
> ./vim-mch_expandpath -s bench.vim  4.26s user 3.97s system 90% cpu 9.135 total
>
> ./vim-globpath       -s bench.vim  0.53s user 1.64s system 93% cpu 2.310 total
> ./vim-mch_expandpath -s bench.vim  2.62s user 2.03s system 91% cpu 5.077 total
>
> ./vim-globpath       -s bench.vim  0.46s user 1.80s system 91% cpu 2.475 total
> ./vim-mch_expandpath -s bench.vim  3.39s user 3.10s system 86% cpu 7.471 total
>
> ./vim-globpath       -s bench.vim  0.44s user 1.47s system 88% cpu 2.153 total
> ./vim-mch_expandpath -s bench.vim  2.00s user 1.92s system 90% cpu 4.350 total
>
> ./vim-globpath       -s bench.vim  0.47s user 1.46s system 84% cpu 2.271 total
> ./vim-mch_expandpath -s bench.vim  2.59s user 2.41s system 96% cpu 5.185 total
>
> Based on the benchmark result above it appears that using globpath() is about
> 4 times faster than using mch_expandpath() for doing find completion.
>
> Attached patch makes find completion works on windows using mch_expandpath().
> On unix we still use globpath().  This is done checking #if defined(WIN3264),
> I'm not sure if that is the preferred way to detect if we're compiling on
> windows.
>
> > In the mean time here is the patch to prevent ":find <tab>" from crashing on
> > windows when 'path" is set to something like "c:\src\**".

> [...]

I haven't checked the details, but I have included the patch and made
some style changes.  I merged the two functions, I don't like
duplicating code.

--
For humans, honesty is a matter of degree.  Engineers are always honest in
matters of technology and human relationships.  That's why it's a good idea