On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> Hi Bram!
>
> On Mi, 18 Aug 2010, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>

> > Christian Brabandt wrote:

> > > I found the problem. It can be reproduced on Windows using this
> > > commandline:
> > >
> > > gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N -c "echo strftime('%a %Y\-%m\-%d %R')"
> >
> > Thanks for figuring that out.  Perhaps someone knows how to fix it?
> > Which gvim version is this with?
>
> As Benjamin said, it's %R and also %T that triggers it. My environment
> is 32bit WinXP using the official built gvim73.exe from www.vim.org.
>
> BTW: a self compiled mingw-Version does not crash. It simply returns
> the empty string for %R and %T

Via the PHP caveats on strftime (non-)portability[1] that specifically
mentioned %T and %R on Windows, I also found that %e and %D crash Vim.

This seems to just be due to bad strftime() error-handling
characteristics.  '%0', '%.', and '%-' also crash it (probably any
invalid format specifiers).

Full list of valid format specifiers for the strftime provided by Visual
Studio 2010 is at [2], if it's useful for debugging.

--
Best,
Ben

[1] http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php