On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Sergey Khorev wrote:

> >> It is by design in the recent VC CRT libraries (VS2005 onwards?)
> >> Any unsupported format specifier will result in a crash. On
> >> Windows, or at least builds that use recent VC CRT libraries, VIM
> >> needs to validate the format string that it only contains supported
> >> format specifiers. I'm guessing mingw is using older versions of
> >> the Windows CRT or has its own version.
> >
> > Attached is a patch to check for allowed specifiers for Windows.
> >  Not sure if any other platforms need a similar check (I doubt it).
> >  Don't know if need extra code to cope with multi-byte format
> > strings.  Don't know if having the check function in eval.c is the
> > right thing to do. Does stop the crash for me.
>
> Perhaps another options would be installation of custom validation
> handler via _set_invalid_parameter_handler as described on
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ksazx244(v=VS.80).aspx
>
> Unfortunately I cannot provide a patch at the moment. Maybe later if
> no one outruns me.

It seems like a more-robust version of the patch already sent would be
to double the '%'s that precede invalid format specifiers (so the
strftime call still succeeds, it just wouldn't properly substitute the
ones it can't).

The _set_invalid_parameter_handler approach might be simpler if the goal
is to just fail on invalid input.  (No need for Vim to check the input.)
Seems more maintainable than reïmplementing the parsing portion of strftime.

At the bottom of the slippery slope (that input-checking starts down),
duplicating the entirety of strftime would allow non-strftime systems to
have the functionality.

--
Best,
Ben