On Jan 3, 5:36 pm, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Ex commands do not indicate arguments
>>   - It would be nice to know which commands expect arguments
>>   (e.g. :s, :edit) and which don't (e.g. :quit)
>> - Ex commands do not indicate if they support ranges
>>   - It would be nice to know which commands can take ranges (e.g. :s)
>>   and which don't (e.g. :edit)
> This is true in index.txt however the command name is a link to the
> main help topic for each command, which DOES indicate arguments, etc.
> I would rather have index.txt stay really short and simple, for use as
> an index, not as a command reference.

Yes, this is true. However, it seems pretty handy to get an overview
of all the commands in one place. As you yourself said, you had no
idea that :visual takes an argument, probably because you have never
thought of looking at the main topic for that command (and why would
you?). Indicating that it _does_ take an argument might lead you to
check the main documentation. I think adding a "Notes" column with 1 =
Takes arguments, 2 = supports range would make features much more
discoverable without making index.txt more complex. As a bonus:

--
Stefan Parviainen