Hi there,

Normally I happily live in a 7-bit ASCII world, but recently I've become involved in writing unicode tests for a perl project, Foswiki.

I think I've discovered a cursor positioning/rendering bug in vim 7.2 with devanagari script (used for Hindi language).

Here's the offending line (also at http://pastebin.com/tWSTnAdw):

my @test = ( 'wiki', 'â日本語é', 'çमानक हिन्दीà' );

1. The problem is with the devanagari characters. There's only six of them: but 9-ish (3 extraneous circle things) are displayed
2. Go to end of line
3. Observe that cursor doesn't go completely to end of line. Cursor goes to closing quote ' only
4. Move cursor left, character-at-a-time (arrow or h)
5. Before you've reached the Kanji characters, one of the devanagari characters is replaced with an extraneous ')'

I'm using gnome-terminal with these envars set:
GDM_LANG="en_AU.utf8"
LANG="en_AU.utf8"

nano, cat and less all seem to work fine.

My vim is from debian-testing, output of vim --version begins with:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled May  7 2011 15:00:54)
Included patches: 1-154
Modified by pkg-vim-maintain...@lists.alioth.debian.org
Compiled by bui...@brahms.debian.org
Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
+conceal +cryptv +cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff
+digraphs +dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi
+file_in_path +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext
-hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall
+linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname
+mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm
-mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra +perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer +profile
+python -python3 +quickfix +reltime +rightleft +ruby +scrollbind +signs
+smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
+vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 -xfontset +xim
+xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

Cheers

--
paul.w.har...@csiro.au, Ph: (02) 6246 5105
Informatics Technologist - www.taxonomy.org.au