On Sun, 3 Jul 2011, Paul wrote:

Hi Benjamin,

On Jul 4, 6:51 am, "Benjamin R. Haskell" wrote:
... snip
I originally wrote this¹ up (on the web since email's the wrong place for HTML and images) in response to a post «Complex Scripts in Vim/gVim»², but figured it was appropriate here, since Devanāgarī is the topic again.  The summary is that you're probably not going to be happy with the way vim (g- or terminal) displays Devanāgarī at this point in time, especially if you really have to read/write it (instead of just viewing it as a sequence of characters for Unicode testing).

So, this is a known issue. Thank you for these detailed answers.

I wonder how nano is working, though - because even if the script isn't rendered properly, at least its cursor-character/rendering seems to track properly, whereas in vim I do not feel confident editing any lines containing Devanāgarī.

Is nano consistent for you under gnome-terminal? Did you try the sample from the previous thread¹?

Neither it nor your pastebin sample² works for me in nano under gnome-terminal. For your sample, I get the "three extraneous circle things" (three combining characters that couldn't be rendered properly) in both nano and vim: apparently Unicode code points U+093e (Devanagari Vowel Sign AA), U+093f (Devanagari Vowel Sign I), and U+0940 (Devanagari Vowel Sign II).

It might be useful to know what fonts you've got installed that are covering these characters. A quick first pass:

fc-list :lang=hi | sort

--
Best,
Ben