On 21-Nov-12 10:18:01 +0100, Andy Wokula wrote:

> Am 20.11.2012 20:14, schrieb Nate Soares:
>> In that case I'd like to make a feature request for a way to handle
>> functions with ranges without moving the cursor. My suggestion would be
>> adding a [save] argument to :function which calls winsaveview() before
>> entering and winrestview() after exiting the function, as this has
>> potential applications beyond just [range] functions.
>>
>> Thoughts on the proposed api?
>
> Could you say more on your use case?
>
> Earlier you said mappings are not involved -- it should be easy to pass
> line numbers as function arguments ... but you don't want that -- why?
>
> Why can't you just surround winsaveview()/winrestview()?

Christian, Nate, and I have all struggled with the current behavior of [range]
(and the documentation didn't help). Though the issue can be worked around (e.g.
with winsaveview()), maybe changing the behavior or introducing a new special
function argument would make this easier in the future.

> [3 lines deleted]
> What's wrong with :KeepView (btw, it's prepared for nesting)?

I like your utility library (though the generic "plugin/cmds.vim" script is
prone to naming clashes), but as a plugin writer I wouldn't consider adding a
dependency to it just for this little piece of functionality.

-- regards, ingo