On 2012-11-29 Thursday at 12:55 -0800 Nate Soares wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Roland Eggner
> <ed...@systemanalysen.net>wrote:
> > Why not reusing or enhancing already established commandline syntax?  If “,”
> > and “;” are not sufficient for all desired features of range specifications,
> > why not just introducing a new separator between line specifications?  E.g.
> > two adjacent commas “,,”, or a caret character “^” would not clash with
> > current commandline syntax AFAICS.  This would be easier to learn from
> > a user POV.  Implementation might require more effort, though.
>
> I considered that, actually. However, the :call docs contradict this, stating
> that the cursor is moved to the first line irrespective of the range
> separator.
>
> I'd prefer updating :call to honor the range separator. This is potentially
> backwards incompatible. I think it would be preferable for sake of consistency
> with the :cmdline-ranges documentation -- are there objections to this
> backwards incompatible change and/or suggestions for ways to work around it?

What backward incompatibility could you imagine, that could not be avoided by
proper implementation?

--

@all:  Sorry for my error posting my previous message twice.

@Nate:  In every footer of postings in this list I read …
“Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.”

--
Roland