On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-6, Don wrote:
> Running gvim 7.4.591 on a FreeBSD 10.1 system (or 7.4.617 on an
> up-to-date Arch Linux system), I attempt to reduce the font size
> (using Edit->Set font) from the default 10-point Monospace to
> 8-points, for the purpose of getting more text on the screen. The
> response, surprisingly, is to reduce the size of the pane within the
> gvim window, thus displaying the same amount of text in a smaller
> area. Is there a way to get the effect I want with gvim, perhaps by
> restoring the pane to full size?
>
> I did succeed in achieving something like what I want with vim by
> adjusting the xterm font size, but for what I am going now, gvim is
> preferable. Also, xterm provides only a few font-size choices; I'd
> prefer the finer granularity available in gvim.
>
> /Don Allen

After you set the font size smaller, either grab the edge of the gvim window
with your mouse and resize it like any other GUI application; or set the
'lines' and 'columns' options to the desired size to increase the window size
(this method lets you specify a size in your gvimrc for example as well).

Or just maximize the gvim window using your window manager.