Am 2015-03-09 15:49, schrieb Donald Allen:
It turns out that the behavior I described in my original post
(shrinking the inner pane rather than displaying more text in the
full-sized pane when a smaller font-size is selected) appears to be
caused by tiling window managers and vim's interaction with them. The
original behavior was seen on an up-to-date 64-bit Arch Linux system
using just the xmonad window manager (no desktop system). On a hunch,
I tried the same thing (reducing the font size) while running fvwm
instead of xmonad and got exactly the behavior I wanted (the size of
the window and the text rectangle within it was unchanged and more
text was displayed). I then tried the same experiment with i3, another
tiling window manager like xmonad, and the behavior was the same as
observed with xmonad. So for this particular case, based on a small
amount of data, it appears that vim and tiling window managers are
conspiring to produce poor and unexpected behavior. It is possible to
do this correctly with tiling window managers; I just tested gedit and
emacs with i3, and making the font smaller works correctly in both
cases.

Well, if you know more details, about the expected behaviour for tiling
window managers (perhaps ask the xmonad/i3/awesome developers) and
you can give us a clue, what would be expected, we might be able to fix
that behavior.

Kind regards,
Christian