----- Original Message -----
>To: vim_dev@googlegroups.com
>Subject: Re: Font size?
>Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:05:16 +0100
>From: Christian Brabandt <cbli...@256bit.org>
>Cc: Donald Allen <donaldcal...@gmail.com>
>

>Am 2015-03-09 15:49, schrieb Donald Allen:
>> It turns out that the behavior I described in my original post
>> (shrinking the inner pane rather than displaying more text in the
>> full-sized pane when a smaller font-size is selected) appears to be
>> caused by tiling window managers and vim's interaction with them. The
>> original behavior was seen on an up-to-date 64-bit Arch Linux system
>> using just the xmonad window manager (no desktop system). On a hunch,
>> I tried the same thing (reducing the font size) while running fvwm
>> instead of xmonad and got exactly the behavior I wanted (the size of
>> the window and the text rectangle within it was unchanged and more
>> text was displayed). I then tried the same experiment with i3, another
>> tiling window manager like xmonad, and the behavior was the same as
>> observed with xmonad. So for this particular case, based on a small
>> amount of data, it appears that vim and tiling window managers are
>> conspiring to produce poor and unexpected behavior. It is possible to
>> do this correctly with tiling window managers; I just tested gedit and
>> emacs with i3, and making the font smaller works correctly in both
>> cases.
>
>Well, if you know more details, about the expected behaviour for tiling
>window managers (perhaps ask the xmonad/i3/awesome developers) and
>you can give us a clue, what would be expected, we might be able to fix
>that behavior.
>

>Kind regards,
>Christian

Hi, list

I want to add some info to the issue above.

With Awesome WM in tiling layout modes, neither fullscreen nor floating one, g
vim's behavior depends on the runtime configuration in use.

If you let the WM honor clients' size hints, then making the font size smaller
 gives you "displaying more text in the full-sized pane."  This behavior is fa
ctory default.

On the other hand, if you have the WM ignore them, then doing the same thing r
esults only in "shrinking the inner pane."

How to make Awesome (>= 3.4) ignore size hints:
http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/FAQ#How_to_remove_gaps_between_windows.3F

So, if I were an XMonad user, I would try XMonad.Layout.LayoutHints in order t
o give a chance to the window manager that it forcibly redraws the client whic
h has just switched the font, via layout recalculation caused by WM's honoring
 the size hints.  Yes, I know it's brutal, and more importantly, I don't know
if it works fine with XMonad.  So it would be better to keep it as a last reso
rt till someone comes up with a better, decent solution :-)

Regards,
Kazunobu Kuriyama