* MC Andre <andrew.penneba...@gmail.com> [150428 13:26]:
> No, the point is for **newbies** to be able to reach vim.org and have
> an automatic redirect to www.vim.org, without requiring any special
> user configuration. Tips like "modify your hosts file" assume the user
> is already an advanced user, defeating the whole purpose of this
> request.
>
> Could the DNS admin please drop in whatever configuration is necessary
> to achieve this redirect?

No, the point is that in «http://example.org/some/page», example.org is
a host name, not a domain name or service name.  This is by design.  The
hostmaster is free to make www.example.org and example.org point to the
same host, if he desires, but it is not now, nor ever has been,
mandatory.  If you are given a URL, use it; don't strip the leading www.
If you are not given a URL, Google for Vim to get the correct URL.  This
is what I would expect a newbie to do.  I see nothing wrong with not
having the domain name be a synonym for the web-serving host.

This topic has been discussed on this list several times before, with
the same answer every time.  If the hostmasters were so inclined, they
would have changed this already.

...Marvin