On 2015-09-11, Georgiy Treyvus wrote:
> On 09/05/2015 03:56 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > Here are the results of comparing the sizes of the Vim directories
> > installed as a package on my Fedora 14 system (Vim 7.3.315) with
> > those of my local build of Vim 7.4.838.  Directory sizes were found
> > using 'du -hs'.  The Fedora package doc files are gzipped; my doc
> > file are not compressed.
> >
> >     /usr/share/vim/vim73            22M
> >     /usr/share/vim/vim73/doc         2.5M
> >
> >     /usr/local/share/vim/vim74      29M
> >     /usr/local/share/vim/vim74/doc   6.0M
> >
> > What this shows is that the Fedora packagers are saving no more that
> > 3.5 MB of disc space by compressing the doc files.  Given the size
> > of today's discs, it's ridiculous to spend any effort on compressing
> > these files or on working around problems from them being compressed.
> >
> > Fedora should stop compressing these files.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gary
>
> Gary what your statistics show is that the total size of the
> documentation files for Vim 7.4 exceeds that of Vim 7.3 by 3.5
> megabytes. It does not show how much can be gained from the use of
> compression.

You missed the sentence preceding the data.  I was hoping to avoid a
full explanation and avoid gathering data beyond what I had handy.
The Fedora Vim 7.3 doc file are gzipped to a size of 2.5 MB.  My Vim
7.4 doc files are not compressed and occupy 6.0 MB.

Now, we can safely assume that the size of Vim's documentation has
grown from 7.3 to 7.4.  Therefore, if the disc space occupied by
compressed 7.3 files is 2.5 MB, the disc space occupied by
compressed 7.4 files must be greater than, or possibly equal to, 2.5
MB.

The amount of spaced saved by gzipping the 7.4 files is

    space saved =  uncompressed size - compressed size
                <= 6.0 MB            - 2.5 MB
                <= 3.5 MB

It isn't an exact result, but it is a bound.

> Now while whatever gains can be made won't be astronomically huge they
> will still be worth it. Now you and Christian do have a valid point
> about the fact that today's disk sizes are quite large and the savings
> aren't all that significant. In fact this is so much so that had we been
> having this conversation just a few months ago I would have agreed a lot
> more. However currently my disk is full almost to capacity in spite of
> my best efforts to remove extra cruft and frankly any space savings I
> could get right now would actually be quite appreciated.

While I can appreciate the problem of running out of disc space, 3.5
MB is only 0.23 % of 1.5 GB.  If that little bit is a problem, and
you are trying to squeeze extra space out of your file system 0.23 %
at a time, you are not spending your time wisely.  That space is
likely going to disappear the next time you upgrade or install
another package.

Regards,
Gary