> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Jonathan Newton wrote:
>>
>> > How are the installer packages from vim.org produced? Could something
>> be
>> > setup to trigger production of these files at regular cadence?
>>
>> It's a sequence of commands that need to be executed on a prepared
>> machine.  It might be possible to automate, but it's not easy.
>> E.g., you need the right diff.exe, Python installation, etc.
>>

> I'd like to know more about the "not easy" parts and am willing to attempt
> a solution. Are these problems only on Windows or for all platforms?

​Other platforms have package managers and these problems are addressed by
their maintainers: e.g. Gentoo ebuild maintainers will laugh at you if you
provide a binary package for such a small software as Vim (examples of
large software which do have “binary package” ebuilds that use precompiled
binaries: libreoffice, firefox), many other linux distributions prefer or
have a policy about compiling opensource software by maintainers (e.g. for
security reasons), or simply use packages from other distributions with
such preferences. Homebrew has its own recipe for Vim, which compiles
[Mac]Vim and thus Mac users do not need any binary packages.

I used to automate compiling Vim for Windows on linux (mingw
cross-compiler) and it worked fine in wine in the past, but I have not
checked that my scripts work recently.

Used scripts:

1. https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/vim-dev-tools/src/default/winesetup.pl​ used
for downloading dependencies and determining some compile options.
2. https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/vim-dev-tools/src/default/build.zsh used for
actually compiling Vim using mingw cross-compiler, available on Gentoo
through crossdev.

I would actually suggest setting up appveyour instead: here you already
have working build scripts and compiler (mingw cross-compiler is not a
common software), just you need to package the result and write deploy
script. Note that both my solution and appveyour CI script do not (need to)
include building an installer.

I am also pretty sure that there are other automations lying around: Vim
without Cream definitely has some automation I think, don’t know whether it
is or can be public or not.