On 18 August 2016, Luc Hermitte <hermi...@free.fr> wrote:
> > > Another point on the qflist topic is bugging me. IIRC, when an
> > > error is detected, the type flag is set to 'E'. But how is error
> > > detection done? Is it when the message 'error:' is detected?  What
> > > about when the locale is in another language like 'fr_FR'?  In
> > > this case, the error messages start with "erreur: ", warnings with
> > > "attention: ". I guess similar issues may happen in all other
> > > languages.
> > >
> > > Has anybody an idea how to solve error/warning detection when the
> > > system is not in English?  (My ultimate objective is to fill the
> > > error and message counters displayed by the airline plugin in the
> > > qf window status line)
> >
> >     Set LC_MESSAGES to C before running your program:
> >
> >         https://goo.gl/tMPUdV
> >
> >     Less than ideal, but it makes parsing possible.
>
> Of course, I'm aware of this solution -- which I use regularly as I
> can't stand the translation of compilation errors.
>
> What I was hoping, is a end-user friendly solution: one that implies
> as few tweaks as possible to fully take advantage of my plugin.

    Well, let me put it like this:

(1) To parse something you need to make assumptions about the syntax of
    the text you're trying to parse;

(2) Translations break most (if not all) assumptions about the syntax of
    the translated text.

    You could, of course, try to "undo" the translation before parsing
error messages, perhaps based on the .po files of the application
producing the errors.  This would stand some chances to work for
applications that create error through a centralized set of functions,
and would break horribly for applications that produce ad-hoc errors.
And then there are exceptions, and stack traces from third-party
libraries.  But if you manage to do it, it would be user-friendly. :)

    /lcd