I tried another experiment.  This time I just opened vim with
a single window and filled a couple of lines with text.  Then
I used the mouse to position the cursor.  I could move the
cursor as far right as column 223, but moving the mouse pointer
any further to the right and clicking the mouse moved the cursor
to column 1.

So the funny behavior does seem related to the old addressing
style, but why is it happening on an xterm-318 with 'ttymouse'
automatically set to "sgr"?

Regards,
Gary