Jason Franklin wrote:

> I did a good bit of work to script up a demonstration of this problem.
>
> I believe something is now broken with how Vim interprets custom color
> palettes in 256-color terminal windows.  I can reproduce the problem without
> using my own .vim directory.
>
> I wrote a short script (attached) to serve as a sanity check for how colors
> are displayed in Vim terminal windows.
>
> Again, my environment is GNOME Terminal on Ubuntu 18.04.  In GNOME Terminal,
> I have selected the Solarized font color palette for my profile. To make the
> text more clear, you may want to use the Solaried dark background theme.
> Other color palettes may be broken as well, but some appear to work
> properly.
>
> To reproduce:
>
> 0. Use solarized font palette in all terminal windows in GNOME Terminal
> 1. Compile latest vim (way after this patch, code here already changed)
> 2. ./vim --clean
> 3. :terminal, then run "colors" script to see the color table
> 4. open a second terminal window
> 5. run "colors" script in the new terminal window outside of vim
> 6. compare the tables
> 7. you'll see the tables are not the same, as they should be
>
> In case your environment does not match mine, I have included screenshots of
> the color table in both a Vim (./vim --clean) terminal window and in
> a regular GNOME Terminal window.
>
> I believe this issue, though it seems small, is important because it breaks
> a really popular color scheme configuration.
>
> Hopefully, you'll find the attached script useful, and it may give me some
> direction.  It could be that I need to go to the GNOME project to get
> someone to work on this, but I believe the problem is here.

Hmm, this relies on "tput" which I think is not a great tool.  Not only
does it not show the escape sequences used, it also has some obvious
problems.  For exampl, in my 256 color xterm it reports only 8 colors.
In your screenshots the bold colors are clearly wrong.

Please use raw escape sequences, so that we can see what actually
happens.

--
CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!
   We follow the cart through a wretched, impoverished plague-ridden village.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_dev/201905122010.x4CKA85c029928%40masaka.moolenaar.net.