> I cannot reproduce this in xterm.  I see no reason why you see a
> difference.

When I run xterm on Ubuntu 18.04, I get an 8 color terminal.  So, I'm
unable to reproduce the problem with xterm as well.

It's only in GNOME Terminal that I see the difference in color.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_dev/CAG%3DmhmO-KO9kA6WmMPGO2oufBPB3Pp1bL494-XL%3DjCH4OKDmDw%40mail.gmail.com.