On 23/08/28 11:55 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 4:17 PM Ernie Rael<err...@raelity.com>  wrote:
On 23/08/24 2:44 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
[...]
Well, <sigh /> if the Mercurial mirror goes puff, I'll have to decide
either to fall back on the Vim from my distro (always somewhat behind,
currently 9.0.1632 and with a slightly different choice of features
than I would have chosen) or to start learning git seriously on a
fresh clone.
Have you considered the "hg-git" extension? "hg-git" on PyPi. It's had a
lot of work done in the last couple of years; it's in good shape,  with
regular releases. Also the newer "evolve" extension is useful, I use it
in favor of mq.

-ernie
I have used the mq extension, and it is OK for the uses I have, but
since I don't do actual "development" I use it rarely, and mostly for
typos in helpfiles, which I could just as well (but maybe a little
less practically for the maintainer) mention in purely "human readable
text" such as:
in file runtime/doc/foobar.txt, at line 1234
    there is: azertyuiop wxcvbn
    there should be: qwertyuiop wxcvbn

About using Mercurial on a git repo, I see that there is a "git"
extension distributed with Mercurial, but disabled by default and
labeled as "EXPERIMENTAL" in capitals in the output of "hg help
extensions". OTOH the output of "hg --config extensions.git=  help
git" is extremely terse to the point that it seems only meant to make
people afraid of it.
If that hg-git extension you mention is so good, why haven't the
Mercurial maintainers adopted it ? I daresay I have cold feet about
it.

If you ever feel like taking a chance, you could do this in parallel, you can do

1. Install hg-git (https://pypi.org/project/hg-git/ is a good starting
   place)
2. hg clone git+https://github.com/vim/vim.git [optional destination name]

Do "hg in", "hg pull", ..., whatever as usual.

-ernie

Christian, do you have any recommendations for someone who would want
to continue porting the changes from git to Mercurial if you ever
decide to close your own Mercurial mirror, or is it not worth the
trouble unless this new Mercurial mirror is made public (for instance
by maintaining a git mirror, exporting each patch as a set of diffs,
and importing that to a Mercurial clone) ? (I used to have a user site
but my ISP has closed it for no other reason than "if you want to
continue having a user site after DD/MM/YYYY, get into contact with us
before that date and an engineer of ours will build it for you". — I
was perfectly happy with building it slowly but surely by FTP and I
prefer to mind my own business, thank you.)

Best regards,
Tony.