Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Lately I've been using vim to edit .po files and I wanted to use the
> built-in spell checker. The .spl file available for my native language
> (Romanian) is... lacking, to say the least. So I tried to build a new
> one using the word list available here
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=144374&package_id=236406
>
> I downloaded the ro_RO.3.2.zip file, unpacked it and ran
>
> :mkspell ro ro_RO.aff
>
> Reading word file ro_RO.aff ...
> Compressing word tree...
> Compressed 13638 of 21005 nodes; 7367 (35%) remaining
> Compressed 13684 of 21054 nodes; 7370 (35%) remaining
> Writing spell file ro.utf-8.spl ...
> Done!
> Estimated runtime memory use: 79385 bytes
>
> Then I try to use it (after copying it to ~/.vim/spell/)
>
> :set spelllang=ro
> :set spell
>
> but it just won't work, anything I write in Romanian is highlighted as
> bad and z= doesn't give any suggestions. I also tried running vim with
> -u NONE -U NONE, but the same thing happens. Spelling with 'en' or 'de'
> works fine.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The spell file is written as utf-8.  Are you sure the input is also
utf-8?

Perhaps the diff files for the "old" spell files give a few hints about
what's different in the Vim spell input files:

ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/ro/

You can also try ":spelldump", it will list all the valid words.

213. Your kids start referring to you as "that guy in front of the monitor."