On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 1:14 PM, kosta...@gmail.com <kosta...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If someone could provide a small (but useful) Tex program and indicate
>> which tags should be identified, and the rules by which to identify
>> it, I could consider how much work it would be to add it.
> TeX is not a programming language.
> You can consider about it like HTML (but it is very brutally
> comparison).
> Here you can find an example LaTeX file:
> http://sip.clarku.edu/tutorials/TeX/intro.html
>
>> If I recall on this list, there is other talk about ReTex (or something).
>> Is there different dialects of Tex?
> TeX is a generic language.
> There are some extensions of it.
> The most popular (and common) is LaTeX.
> Furthermore bibtex and tetex.
>
> It will be excellent if Exuberant Tags will parse at least following
> tags:
> subsubsection
> subsection
> section
> chapter

If you can build ctags from source I have checked in a tex parser.

Looks for files with .tex extension.
Produces 5 types of tags:
    c,chapter
    s,section
    u,subsection
    b,subsubsection
    p,package

It is a token parser which can handle tags of this format:
    \keyword{any number of words}
    \keyword[short desc]{any number of words}
    \keyword*[short desc]{any number of words}
    \keyword[short desc]*{any number of words}

Will find tags for the following lines:
    \usepackage{amsmath}
    \chapter{chapter text}
    \section{section1 text}
    \subsection{subsection2}
    \subsubsection{subsubsection3 with extra text}

If someone that actually uses Tex can give it a go you can email me
directly with any issues.

Dave