> Here you can find an example LaTeX file:
> http://sip.clarku.edu/tutorials/TeX/intro.html

Likewise, here's a section that I give to my students when I ask them to
submit their assignments in LaTeX.

http://www.ece.osu.edu/~pavlict/ece327/#latex_help

I have a simple "Hello world!" example.

> TeX is a generic language.

It's probably better to think about something like ASCIIDOC, which
should be very familiar to most readers of this list. ASCIIDOC now
allows you to include TeX math snippets. In many cases, ASCIIDOC
competes with TeX for certain applications.

> There are some extensions of it.

These extensions (e.g., eTeX) are very technical. As far as Vim is
concerned, there are no significant differences.

> The most popular (and common) is LaTeX.

TeX allows you to define macros to simplify common tasks (so you don't
have primitives floating around everywhere). "LaTeX", "Plain TeX", and
"ConTeXt" are the three common sets of macros.

Arguably, LaTeX is the most popular of the macro'd forms, and the pure
TeX form doesn't have the same type of pre-defined sections. So it's
probably best to focus on LaTeX (until the ConTeXt people start bitching).

> Furthermore bibtex and tetex.

BibTeX and teTeX are not extensions.

*) teTeX is a distribution, like Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux.
teTeX has been deprecated. For modern distributions, see the link above.

*) BibTeX is an EXTERNAL PROGRAM used to manage bibliographies and
produce a properly formatted list of references. That being said, BibTeX
has its own "bibliography database files" as well as "bibliography style
files." The former have a pretty simple syntax. The latter uses a
post-fix (e.g., like RPN) programming language to setup how to generate
the properly formatted references.

> subsubsection
> subsection
> section
> chapter

Every document has different levels of sections, just like you can have
nested loops in programming languages.

Each of these defines the beginning of a new section.

\part{The Early Years}         (Part I: The Early Years)
\chapter{Teenage Lust}         (Chapter 5: Teenage Lust)
\section{Introduction}         (Section 1: Introduction)
\subsection{

But you'll also have to recognize the starred and optional argument
versions (which exist for all of those above), like...

\section[optional shortname]{Long name}
\subsection*{Unnumbered section}

Finally, every LaTeX document will start with a documentclass line:

\documentclass[optional arg,optional arg,optional arg]{name}
OR
\documentclass{name}

And after the LaTeX preamble starts a document "environment."

\begin{document}
\end{document}

Plus, you can have macros defining major sections of the source... like...

\frontmatter
\backmatter
\appendix
\bibliography{...}

Oh, and every macro (\macro) eats all whitespace (including newlines)
after it.

Comments start with % anywhere in the line, and that % eats all
whitespace after it and STARTING on the NEXT LINE.

--Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <t...@tedpavlic.com>